Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Type Studio new year type resolutions

The Type Studio is a unique and innovative studio specializing in all aspects of typography and visual communications. Their services range from the technical to the aesthetic, and include type direction and consulting, type-oriented graphic design, font development, copy writing, and workshops and seminars. Ilene Strizver, founder of The Type Studio, has more than 30 years of experience with type and design.
She is also the author of the book Type Rules!.

Happy New Year! Ready to make some typographic resolutions?
-- TypeTalk: You ask, we answer
-- OpenType Features
-- Who is Max Kerning?
-- Gourmet Typography January Schedule
-- Onsite Gourmet Typography RECESSION DISCOUNT

TypeTalk: You ask, we answer

Q. When setting up styles or formatting in Adobe InDesign, is it better to use Metric or Optical kerning? Is it OK to mix them, such as Metrics for Headline and Optical for Body? Check it out...

Q. I see so much bad justified text that it makes me scared to try it. Are there rules for setting good justified text? Check it out...

Q. I use FontAgent Pro to manage my fonts, but every so often when I try to import new fonts, one or more of them don't import. Why does this happen, and what I can do about it? Check it out...

Q. An important job just came back from the printer with a hyphen in the middle of a word where it doesn't belong. Is there a way to avoid those nasty hyphens that can appear unexpectedly when text reflows? Check it out...

Read the answers to these and more in TypeTalk, my weekly Q&A blog (formerly a monthly column). Now you can post your comments and read others.You ask, I answer! Send your questions to mailto:typetalk@thetypestudio.com A complete directory of past columns is here.


Click here for the rest of the article or go to thetypestudio.com for more articles.

No comments: